Sunday, June 28, 2015

Give me liberty, or give me death

Tonight’s soliloquy should not be too astonishing, as everyone has been providing his input ad nauseam. However overplayed, I as a “writer” felt obliged to contribute my two cents. Forgive any redundancies in this account, for as a Christian I feel that some of my points should have been approached already. I shall keep my primer brief, for the crux of the matter is what is vital.
Though standing twenty years young, I can confidently say that I have only been “in love” once in my lifetime, if even once. My experience in the matter is unsurprisingly innocent and a measure naïve. And so when approaching the topic of love, I as a student in the scientific field must approach it as such. There are two stages to love, the initial “falling,” and the later progressed intimacy. Falling in love is triggered by three neurotransmitters: norepinephrine, dopamine, and phenylethylamine. For simplicity’s sake I shall dub these “hormones,” and when combined, these hormones trigger the euphoria and other feelings of “love.” A firmly established love then introduces two more neurochemicals: oxytocin and serotonin. Suffice it to say, love truly is chemical and just as complex as depicted. As scientists, we can scruple the process of it all, but we never will truly be able to fathom its contexts. Never will we be able to quantify love’s ups and downs, its hurts and elations, or its freeing of the soul as well as its captivity.
If you’ve been living under a rock I will go ahead and fill you in: the Supreme Court has overruled the ban on gay marriage, and now Dick is no longer limited to just Jane. In my young life, never have I seen the country more divided. Some declare this the end of days, while others proclaim it’s the beginning of the golden days. So where shall we as Christians stand on this matter? There is no simple answer. I shall omit any superfluous “I believe” statements because, being my blog, I have the floor. The Supreme Court made the right decision. As a body, our government’s responsibility is just that, to govern. Their duty is not to mold we the people into their “ideal citizen,” instead they’re role is to ensure that we have the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness for what Thomas Jefferson and the rest of the revolutionaries fought and died. If America truly is the land of the free and home of the brave, why should we be denied the paramount pursuit for which we all strive? As a body of believers and disciples of Christ however, we are called to live apart from this world. Homosexuality is wrong, God decreed it, but I remain the one with a plank in my eye. In the sixth chapter of Luke, Jesus proclaims, “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven.” These red letters dictate exactly what is expected of Christians today. Our responsibility is not to hate the gay community nor condemn them to Hell, but as a friend said, our job is to “love, love, love… endlessly.” We combat the ways of the world with the five most powerful aforementioned neurochemicals. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves. The only way to expect Christ’s kingdom to come crashing into this worldly empire is through the power of love. To the gay community I say I love you. I’ve seen your strife, and I apologize for the treatment my brothers and sisters have placed upon you. To my brothers in Christ I say love and never cease loving. Love until the earth falls into the sea. Lord come quickly.

These words are sour on my lips, for I am just as guilty as you, but all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. But we are promised no condemnation through our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus. Thank you my dear readers for your support of an impassioned soul. As the world changes around you, and you long for God’s eternal kingdom, take heart in the fact that 1) the tomb is empty and 2) God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment