Monday, May 11, 2015

Jesus Wept

            I pray forgive the absence of my farfetched, brazen ideology. The tribulations of life occasionally imprison even the most well equipped. I bid you also forgive the morose motif of this entry, for it is a matter that has weighed heavily on my heart of late.
            Through many long nights and deep theological discussions, I have surmised that one of the most fundamental traits of God is that he desires above all else companionship. From the inauguration of humanity, one did not exist without another: Adam had Eve. Moses had Aaron. Jesus had his apostles. Proverbs 27 states, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Man is not meant to live alone. Through friendships and various relationships, we surmount obstacles only with aid from others. But what happens when companionship is torn apart? A loved one dies, or the distance is overwhelming? What then? English poet Robert Southey says, “The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.” Though I have lived merely twenty years on this earth, I have experienced my portion of loss. I have trudged through the depths of humanity’s loneliness only to verify that the loss of a loved one is the single greatest tragedy to befall us. But I say to you, we are not alone. The entire Christian faith recognizes John 11: 35 as the shortest verse in the bible with its two words: Jesus wept. This statement, if nothing more, is the affirmation of Jesus’ humanity. Our savior too dealt with loss. Lazarus was not only a symbol of His divinity, but evidence to His companionship. Lazarus was a dear friend to Jesus, and though he knew the inevitability of Lazarus’ resurrection, the recognition of his loss brought our Lord to tears. Not a soul who has walked or who will roam this earth will live without loss. It is a tough pill to swallow but as Psalm 30 states, “weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.” We all weep for those we’ve lost, but rest assured, for through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ death has lost its sting. Death has not the final say!

            I write these words with a heavy heart. Kory, Sydney, and Isaiah I write this for you. You will never know the influence you have had on a (not so) humble twenty-year-old, and words cannot convey the love I have for you in my heart. But know this: we will see each other again. And to each and every one of you I say thank you for your devotion to an impassioned soul, and I plea, do not give in to loss. May God bless you all and remember 1) the tomb is empty and 2) God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment